Trav’lin’ Light by Queen Latifah (2007)
October 6, 2007
Ok, now here’s what happened.
A few weeks ago I kept hearing on the radio that there was a Queen Latifah concert coming up at a small local Opera House about an hour away from me. It sort of went in one ear and out the other. I guess I just made the association Latifah=rap, a sorely missed sitcom and some corny movies.
Now we come to just a week ago and I hear Latifah is going to be on Jay Leno’s Tonight Show. So I stay up only to find out there is no interview. She is going to be the musical guest. Curious, I sit up and wait for her performance before I go to bed and I am glad I did. I remembered when I woke up the next morning that her alto voice had sounded great; the song arrangement had sounded great; and Jay Leno told her “good job” after her performance as did all the other guests (whoever they were) that had walked over from the couch to greet and congratulate her on her performance.
So now I make it a point to google what is going on and I find that Latifah is promoting her newly released (9/25/07) CD of standards. Now I do recall she had sung standards before, but I had never purchased or listened to those CDs since most of my time is spent listening to talk radio, Sirius Oldies and/or my personal oldies music collection. I just knew I liked what I heard on Leno; I loved what Latifah sang in the movie “Hairspray” when I saw it this summer; and I remember thinking that Queen had a nice voice when she sang “Just Another Day” back in 1994 on her Motown hip-hop release “Black Reign”
Now with payday here, I stopped at Walmart after work last night and made the CD purchase there. It was a few dollars more than the other stores I had checked out while comparison shopping for the best price, but it had an extra song “Exclusive” to Walmart. That song is the Bonus Track, “Everybody is a Queen”, written by Latifah as a theme for her Cover Girl Queen Makeup campaign. And yes, there was also a $2.00 coupon for the Queen makeup line inside the CD packaging!
I listened to the CD in the car during my commute time today and decided to come home, have dinner and blog about it for you. I really didn’t expect to find old music made new again so soon, but I lucked out with this and just had to share it with you.
1. Poetry Man – This cover of the Phoebe Snow classic it sweet!
2. Georgia Rose – Stevie Wonder guests on this one
3. Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars
4. Don’t Cry Baby
5. I Love Being Here With You
6. I’m Gonna Live Till I Die – this is what Queen sang on Leno Live and tore it up!
7. Trav’lin’ Light
8. I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl – The Nina Simone classic.
9. I’m Not In Love – I used to love this Soft Rock classic!
10. What Love Has Joined Together – She does Smokey Proud on this cover!
11. How Long (Betcha’ Got A Chick On The Side) – Pointer Sisters hit is knocked out of the Park.
12. Gone Away – yes the one written by Donny Hathaway, Leroy Hutson & Curtis Mayfield. Haunting!
13. I Know Where I’ve Been (“Hairspray”) – This song is orchestrated such that it reminds me of Sam Cooke’s classic “A Change is Gonna Come.” I think this version might be different than the Hairspray movie version. It’s been a while since I saw the movie though so I could be wrong. Well anyway it sounds better to me here.
Walmart Exclusive/Bonus Track
14.Every Woman Is A Queen (excellent song written in a retro style that fits in very well with the album theme.
The lush orchestration on all songs is just beautifully done. Please pick up this cd. You won’t regret it.
Now that I know what the fall tour is about I just googled to find out about the fall tour and unfortunately I missed out: the show in my area is over and done with. If you have a chance to see the show I think you should go. I have a feeling it is a true treat. I also found out that a Limited Edition CD can be purchased at the same price as the Walmart Exclusive CD at Queen’s site, but the Bonus track is different. It’s called “Java Jive”
As I was composing this blog one of my news sources “pinged” me on a new article. I stopped typing and went to the reader window to see if anything was important and lo and behold there was a Reuter’s article about this new CD. Somebody beat me too it! (LOL)
Well this is getting long and I don’t want to take up too much of your time on this holiday weekend so I’m gonna close out with the Verve Promotion video for “Trav’lin’ Light.” Queen lip synchs to tracks 1,9,5,11,7 & 6 in that order. Enjoy.