A Night To Remember – Johnny Mathis (2008)
June 5, 2008
I love the music written by The DeBarges and am always on the look-out for any new compositions or performances by El DeBarge. In fact I have a Yahoo “Alert” set up so I won’t miss any DeBarge news. A few weeks ago I got an “Alert” on the new release by Johnny Mathis which contained an El DeBarge penned song. I finally had enough nickels saved today to go out and make the purchase and it was well worth the wait.
This is an awesome collection of Johnny Mathis’ favorite love songs of the late Sixites, the Seventies and the Eighties. Our musical tastes must mesh because I love all of the selections in this compilation.
This CD contains classic oldies with beautiful melodies and lyrics that will live on for centuries to come. Here is the track list:
1. Just the Two of Us (featuring Kenny G). Composed by and original hit released by Bill Withers. Great performances by both Mathis and Kenny G. in this awesome cover.
2. You Make Me Feel Brand New(featuring Yolanda Adams)– A Thom Bell & Linda Creed classic composition; original release for The Stylistics.
3. Walk on By – A Burt Bacharach & Hal David classic composition originally released on Dionne Warwick.
4. Hey Girl – Composed by Carole King and Gerry Goeffin. Mr. Mathis’ version is nice, but I prefer The Temptations, slighty more up-tempo version from their classic “Cloud Nine” LP with the late great Paul Williams on lead vocal. It is the best version of that song ever! Nothing will ever compare to it IMHO.
5. Closer I Get to You – Composed by Reggie Lucas and James Mtume and first recorded as a hit duet for Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway. This beautiful ballad has been covered as a solo by Mathis.
6. Where Is the Love – Composed by William Salter & Ralph MacDonald this classic duet performance by Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway stayed on the charts a year! Great song covered as a solo by Mathis.
7. All This Love – Composed by El DeBarge and recorded originally by the group DeBarge, this is one of those songs that I always felt that no one should cover — because no one can do it justice but the originators. But I think El would like Johnny Mathis’ ultra smooth cover. Mathis records the song as if it were his own.
All This Love – Johnny Mathis 2008
8. Always (featuring Mone’t) – Composed by Davis, Jonathan and Wayne Lewis, the three brothers who put together Atlantic Starr in White Plains, NY. This song is now a “Quiet Storm” classic and Mr. Mathis handles it flawlessly.
Always – Johnny Mathis 2008
9. We’re in This Love Together(featuring Dave Koz) – Composed by Roger Murrah and Keith Stegall, Al Jarreau made the original release on this and took it to the top of the charts. Mathis’ version is heavenly. I must repeat that Mr. Mathis makes every song sound as if it were his own.
10. How ‘Bout Us – Composed by the keyboardist , Dana Walden, of Champaign and recorded by the group Champaiagn, this is another classic love ballad covered to perfection.
11. Always and Forever – Composed by Rod Temperton, and first recorded by his group Heatwave, this is another Quiet Storm Classic that endures. It is also another of those songs that I felt should not be covered because no one could ever compare to the Heatwave original. But Mr. Mathis covers it and does it well. Have a listen.
Always & Forever – Johnny Mathis 2008
12. A Night to Remember (featuring Gladys Knight) – I am not familiar with this song, but I will say that these two voices sound heavenly blended in song.
I checked out the Johnny Mathis Official Web Site and see that Mr. Mathis is currently touring. Seeing both he and Gladys Knight in concerts is at the top of my “To Do List”. If you have had the honor of seeing either or both of these talented artists perform live I would love to hear about it.
To promote the release of this CD Mr. Mathis did this 5-minute Interview in February. Do check it out.
Thank you for stopping by. Keep oldies alive!