Covers – James Taylor (2008)
October 23, 2008
Sweet Baby James has always been a favorite of mine. His voice is just so smooth!
Taylor has had hits with many of his covers in the past and as he says in the interview below (on this new CD) he has always done covers as part of his live performances.
He decided to refine some of the covers that he has been singing and recorded twenty. These are the twelve that made the track list:
1. It’s Growing – A Motown favorite of mine as sung by The Temptations.
2. (I’m A) Road Runner – Another great Motown classic made famous originally by Jr. Walker & The All Stars
3. Wichita Lineman – Of course this was a huge hit for Glenn Campbell and James just sang his version at a free concert for Barack Obama in Raleigh, North Carolina at Moore Square on October 21, 2008. Here is the video of that performance.
4. Why Baby Why
5. Some Days You Gotta Dance
6. Seminole Wind
8. Hound Dog – Big Mama Thornton’s classic was a hit for Elvis when he covered it, but frankly I like Mr. Taylor’s cover arrangement much better than Presley’s. Here’s a live performance of “Hound Dog” by Taylor at the recent Ottawa Bluesfest 08.
9. Sadie – This had got to be my favorite on the cd. I loved it when the Spinners did it and JT’s cover is well done.
10. On Broadway – another fave oldie cover well done
11. Summertime Blues
12. Not Fade Away
From The Wall Street Journal Digital Network, James Taylor discusses his latest album, “Covers.” He tells WSJ’s Chris Farley what prompted him to cover songs by other people and what he thinks of today’s music. (Sept. 26)
If you are a Taylor fan of course you want this for you collection. And even if you aren’t a die-hard Taylor fan I recommend this CD because the songs selected are all classic oldies with beautiful melodies! You will surely enjoy the collection because it is good music — guaranteed.